Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Berlin

Marathon runner
From the Boat Tour, (Berliner Dom)

Boat Ride
Clara and I in the Center Sony Center
ME!
Laura, Clara, Mangus and I walking around
The Dom on top of the Bundestag
Federal Government Building (Bundestag)
Brandenburg Gate

So I am sitting down stairs watching T.V when my host brother yells down the stairs "Back your Bags Kate, were going to Berlin." So in about 3 hours from when he told me that, my bags were packed and we were on the night bus to the Stockholm airport which was about an 8 hour very uncomfortable lack of sleep ride. And Than once we got to the airport we took a 1 1/2 flight to Berlin. From there, we managed to get on a bus and on to a train to the center of Berlin, where in fact we were staying. Magnus was an exchange student to Indiana where he had met another exchange student there from Berlin, her name is Clara and she generously let us come stay with her at her apartment. We arrived to Berlin on a Tuesday and we left the following Monday. So in our stay in Berlin, we managed to figure out the train system, the bus system, and yes walking! I got to see the Brandenburg Gate, which during our stay the Berlin the Track and Field Championship were going on, so there was a lot of special events taking place, including the men and women's marathon run, which Magnus and I watched! Also We saw checkpoint charlie, The Berliner Dom, what's left of the Berlin Wall, The Holocaust Memorial, we went to the T.V tower which is 203 meters tall and we went all the way up and got a great look at the city. We also did a boat tour. And so much more. Clara also showed us around the city, and so did her friend Pia! I loved Berlin. Every morning when I woke up I ran down stairs ( Oh she lives in a apartment, on the highest floor, no elevator! it SUCKED) to the bakery.. And let me tell you they have the most amazing pastry's I have ever had! And than Finally I got my Starbucks! But also the German food was delicious, I love all the meat! The other thing about Berlin that I loved was the night life. Clara showed us around the whole city at night, and let me tell you a thursday night is just as good as a saturday night. Everyone is out! Sitting by the river, or at the clubs or Pubs, and its like 3 am! Also its so funny when your riding the train or walking down the streets you see everyone with a beer in their hand or a bottle of liquor taking shots before they go to the club. One night after finally going to bed about 3 Clara woke Magnus and I up Around 5 am, and said get up and follow me, she led us up some stairs into a attic and than onto the roof, there she laid a bed down and she said we have to watch the sunrise. And from the there we got a great view of the city and the sunrise, well I saw part of the sunrise but than I fell back asleep! but yes, Berlin was amazing, and I cant wait to go back there! Here are a few Pictures from the Trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment